If you are handling your organization or brand’s social media, you’ve probably heard about how the 80/20 rule works, and are applying it for your content strategy. Lets first break down what the 80/20 rule for social media actually means. It’s essentially that 80 percent (or 8 out of 10 pieces) of your content is non-promotional, content that is not about your brand. The other 20 percent should be promotional postings about your brand.
Some would argue that it’s pointless to use the “80/20” rule because they’re not communicating their own content all the time. It’s not that you’re not sharing what your brand is doing, it’s that you’re setting up your brand to be considered a resource, a trusted entity amongst audience. Content that does the best on social media is stuff that is sharable to others.
Here are 5 reasons why you should start applying the “80/20” rule for your brand’s social media if you aren’t doing so already:
5. Build relationships with influencers.
You want to find people on social media who offer the same things you’re passionate about and who have common interest. Share ideas that they come up with. Praise a blog they’ve published. Acknowledge that you agree with their point of view. All this helps build a solid foundation for you and another organization.
4. You care about providing great content.
Stamp your approval on information you think is important to share. If you’re not providing the content yourself, you want to make sure there’s something out there you can rely on.
3. Save yourself some time.
In a perfect world, you want to be the person distributing this content, but you’re jammed packed with things to do. Make your life and job easier by sharing what’s already out there.
2. Don’t make your social media to be all about you.
There should be a fair share of content that’s you and content that’s not about you on social media — simple as that.
1. Position yourself as a thought leader.
By sharing your own stuff and content from others, you’re positioning your brand as a thought leader for your field. You become a trusted and reliable resource to your audience. You’re not doing yourself a disservice if you aren’t sharing a lot of your own content. The end goal is to build engagement, start discussions, spread information and create great relationships.